Ancestral Village of the Treybig Family: Veilsdorf, Germany
Riding the Werra train through the old Frank countryside, one come, half way between Eisfeld and Hildburghausen, on the left bank of the Werra, to the village, Veilsdorf. It lies at the confluences of the Weihbach and the Werra.
The village was founded by the Franks, with the first mention of the name in 840. The location provided good protection.
Early on there was a church in the village, the St. Viets church. In 1604, the church was designated the Cemetery Church. A new church, the Trinity Church, was built in 1604 jointly by Veilsdorf and Schackendorf.
The population of Veilsdorf was industrious and fearless. In 1189 they joined the knights of Veilsdorf in opposing the building of a cloister on the Michelsberg. Because of that, Pope Celestin III forced the community, in 1195, to make amends.
Veilsdorf has always been a farming community. Not until the cloister started a porcelain factory did anybody work anywhere else. The cloister was destroyed in 1525, and the village bought the grounds. Later on the village also bought the estate of the knights Hetschbach. When the Werra train was built, 1856-1858, Veilsdorf was comprised of 100 houses with 700 inhabitants. In 1862, 39 inhabitants emigrated to America. Our Treybig ancestors were among these.
On August 15, 1863, a devastating fire destroyed 50 houses and 45 barns. The village was rebuilt with wider streets and more fire resistant homes, doing away with much of the old Frank style.
The 1100th anniversary of Veilsdorf was celebrated in 1961!
Thuringia Coat of Arms
Town of Veilsdorf Design: Upper half, red and three silver points
Lower half, black with a scale in gold
The town colors are gold above black.
History: The coat of Arms displays in bold outlines the historical aspects of the town. The first historical mentioning documents a Franconian Count which is symbolized by the silver rake. Since the town was located within the authority and jurisdiction of Coburg, the coloring was, accordingly, in black and gold. The scale is a symbol of Saint Michael, the guarding saint of the monastery in Veilsdorf